The Most Underrated Fishing Kayak Build: Hobie Mirage Revolution 13
Mike Carney, COO of Outdoor Sportsman Group, shares his full rigging setup of this overlooked gem in the Hobie line, the Revolution 13. The Hobie Revolution 13 (also available in an 11 ft. model) is a purpose-built, sleek, fast, wave-piercing wonder that is designed to go the distance and then some—with minimal pedaling or paddling effort. At home on oceans, big rivers or great lakes, this water-rocket shines when you need to navigate lots of water to get to your spots and back. Equipped with the MirageDrive 180 with Kick-Up fins, the Revo has a sportscar-like cockpit with low seating, and the highly-adjustable Vantage CT seat adds to the secure and comfy ride. The Revo’s secondary stability—just what you need in big water—is legendary, and if you add a Sidekick AMA kit, you can ply the roughest practical waters and biggest seas with fish-catching confidence. This rig tracks superbly and has tons of storage in the bow, stern and cockpit hatches, plus two molded-in “boxes” with Map Pocket covers starboard and port. Easy to add YakAttack GT90 GearTrac for a custom set up to your preferred specs.
Here are some of the exciting additions to this Hobie Revolution 13 custom build:
- Lowrance FS 7 sonar/mapping GPS with Berley Pro Visor on Yak Attack articulating fishfinder mount with LockNLoad track mount.
- Ram X-Grip Cell Phone holder mounted to versatile T-Reign retracting tether.
- Hobie’s form-fitted Hatch Liner and Gear Bucket Bag with three internal Gear Buckets inside for terminal tackle and baits. Eight-inch Gear Buckets can also be used individually and dropped in all Revo hatches.
- YakAttack MightyMount with Fullback backing plate.
- PanFish Portrait Pro camera mount.
- Scotty 310 Cup Holder, Velcro’d in place, upgrades functionality significantly and you can tether items or lures off the rim cutouts.
- Hobie Sidekick AMA Kit, click-positive, three-height-position adjustable and adaptable to most kayaks, makes any boat nearly unflippable.
- YakAttack PanFish Pro 33-inch camera boom mounted on GT90 GearTrac with Fullback backing plate for heavy accessories.
- Hobie’s Livewell V2 plugs into scuppers and keeps bait super lively. Comes with charger, battery and three rod holders with spots for adding more. Brilliant.
- YakAttack VISI-Carbon Pro light and flag visibility solution.
- Berley Pro Bumper Bro stern keel protector and bow keel, mounted with black 3M Adhesive 4000 UV for a color-matching install.
Find these kayak accessories and more at mariner-sails.com