Miami Super Bowl Host Committee’s Ocean To Everglades Initiative Features the Florida Python Challenge™ 2020 Python Bowl
Who: State and local leaders will join the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC), the South Florida Water Management District (District), and Miami Super Bowl Host Committee’s Ocean To Everglades Initiative.
What: Florida Python Challenge™ 2020 Python Bowl Kickoff Event. Participants in the Python Bowl will gather prior to the start of the competition, which runs Jan. 10-19. The FWC and the District will announce the official start of this one-of-a-kind competition that supports the delicate Greater Everglades Ecosystem. The event will include:
- Sponsor Bass Pro Shops will be on site with one of two grand prize 570 Tracker Off Road ATVs.
- State experts on nonnative fish and wildlife will be available for media interviews.
- Live Burmese pythons also will be available.
- Starting at 11 a.m., pre-registered members of the public can take part in a training to gain first-hand experience capturing a wild Burmese. Media and the public may observe the training. A limited number of field bags will be available to participants registered for the Python Bowl who are present at the event.
- A limited number of field bags will be available to participants registered for the Python Bowl who are present at the event.
Where: Markham Park at 16001 W. State Rd. 84, Sunrise, FL 33326.
When: Friday, Jan. 10, 10:30 a.m. to noon.
Why: This exciting conservation effort will help protect Florida’s Everglades habitats, as well as the animals that live there, from invasive Burmese pythons.
Background: The Florida Python Challenge™ 2020 Python Bowl is a conservation effort that includes public outreach on invasive pythons and a 10-day competition to remove Burmese pythons from public lands in south Florida. The aim of the 2020 Python Bowl is to engage the public in participating in Everglades restoration through invasive species removal. Details are available at FLPythonChallenge.org.
FWC: Carli Segelson, 772-215-9459, Carli.Segelson@MyFWC.com
District: Randy Smith, 561-389-3386, firstname.lastname@example.org