SOLD OUT AS OF JUNE 30th
It’s time to shoot some birdies, and catch some bass. Florida Sportsman magazine is partnering with the American Sportfshing Association in the return of Florida Sportsman’s Bass and Birdies Classic at the 2016 ICAST Convention.
July 12, (the day before ICAST) the gorgeous “Celebration Golf Club” will host the third annual “Bass and Birdies” event to benefit “Keep America Fishing”. Celebration Golf was the last collaboration of Robert Trent Jones Sr. and his son Robert Jr. As any avid golfer knows, that means it will be very challenging and unique to the Jones design.
Equally important to this unique format is the abundance of bass in the water hazards, and reports have it, this will be the best year yet for the anglers in the event.
“The golf is a Scramble–Best Ball format, meaning teams of four players hit each shot, and the best shot is selected, said Rick Ryals Tournament Director. “The three other players retrieve their balls, and hit from the best position, and the same until the hole is holed out.”
However, on four designated holes, one team member will fish in bass hungry lakes while the other three play the scramble. The total length of bass will result in bonus points taken off the final golf score, so it pays to catch bass and make birdies.
The $95 entry includes shuttle to and from the Convention Center, play on a signature Robert Trent Jones designed course, golf cart, range balls, fishing eligibility, a lunch buffet/ awards raffle to benefit Keep America Fishing. This year’s raffle will be anchored by a dream vacation to Nosara Costa Rica.
“It’s a beautiful course, with first rate fishing, and facilities. Anyone who has played a Robert Trent Jones design knows it’s a “must play” for serious golfers.”
The event will be limited to 72 golfers. Just as in 2014, and 15, the event will sell out. Everyone who participates will be impressed with the facilities and enjoy a great round of golf and fun fishing.
The heavy emphasis on fun will include such contests as “Closest to the pin” “Longest Drive” “Casting Contests” “Beat the Pro” and on and on.
The Florida Sportsman Bass and Birdies Classic will be the best way to kick of your week at ICAST. All proceeds will benefit www.KeepAmericaFishing.org.
Currently Sponsors include Fishing Nosara, Power Pole, Costa Del Mar, Yamaha, Daiwa, Plantation on Crystal River, and Bass Pro Shops. For more details and sponsorship opportunities at this event contact Rick Ryals at (904) 334-8808 or e-mail Rick@floridasportsman.com.
For photos from last year’s event, check out the gallery below.
Player Information & Rules
The following details cover the golf and fishing rules that will ensure a fun-filled morning of tournament golf on a spectacular course with bass-hungry lakes.
Registration & Golf
• Registration begins at 7 a.m. at the clubhouse of Celebration Golf Club. Upon arrival, go the table and sign in.
• A complimentary locker and locker room services are available.
• Your assigned starting hole for the Shotgun start at 8 a.m. will be provided at registration and shown on your scorecard.
• Golf clubs and shoes are available for rent – please be sure to note such on the Registration form or contact the Tournament Director now.
• Range balls will be provided prior to play on the practice range.
• Players may wear pants or shorts; shirts must be collared.
• Please do not bring any alcoholic beverages.
• Golf shoes must be spike less.
• Play on the Robert Trent Jones New Course will be a Scramble-Best Ball format.
• Lies may be improved in the fairways within one club length of the chosen ball; all regular USGA rules apply.
• Maximum score on any hole is a bogey.
• Up to five Mulligans per person may be purchased at registration for $5 each.
• One Par-5 hole will feature a Longest Drive Contest and a Par-3 hole a Closest To The Pin Contest.
• Four holes will have a designated area for all-release bass fishing with rod and lures provided.
• Each group can decide which one of its four players will fish on any or all of the four fishing holes while the other three play those holes in the Scramble-Best Ball format.
• Each bass must be photographed before release with a digital camera or cell phone, weighted by an FWC volunteer, and measured against a provided Florida Sportsman Lawstick.
• A fishing scorecard will be provided each group at registration.
• An attendant at each of the four fishing holes will have hand-cleaning materials and anglers will be escorted to the next tee by cart to catch up with their group.
• If you will need a Florida freshwater fishing license, contact www.MyFWC.com for details ($17 for an annual Florida resident license and same for a non-resident 3-day license).
Scoring & Awards
• The size of bass will be deducted from the total score.
• Bring your golf and fishing scorecards to the official scorer at the committee table in front of the Windmill restaurant following the round.
• A private buffet lunch and awards ceremony will take place in the Windmill restaurant immediately after the golf.
• Awards will be given to each player on teams with the three lowest team totals, Longest Drive, Closest To The Hole, Most Bass released and Largest Bass released, casting champion.
The Florida Sportsman Bass & Birdies Classic will be an enjoyable experience. We look forward to your participating in this event as you get ready for the American Sportfishing Association’s upcoming ICAST show.
Feel free to get in touch with any assistance needed or questions.