An exciting new event is being sponsored by Florida Sportsman magazine, the state’s leading publication for outdoor enthusiasts. A spectacular golf tournament will be combined with a fishing competition prior to the International Convention of Allied Sportfishing Trades (ICAST) show in Orlando that’s sponsored by the American Sportfishing Association.
The Florida Sportsman Bass & Birdies Classic will be held Tuesday, July 14, 2015, at the beautiful and challenging 18-hole Rosen Shingle Creek course in Orlando, designed by David Harman. It is the on-site course of the ICAST host hotel.
“The golf is a Scramble-Best Ball format, meaning teams of four players hit each shot and the best shot is selected,” said Rick Ryals, Tournament Director. “The three other players retrieve their balls and hit from the best position, and the same until the ball is holed out.”
However, on six designated holes, one team member will fish in bass-hungry lakes while the other three plays the scramble. The number of bass caught will result in bonus points taken off the final golf score, so it pays to make birdies and catch bass.
This unique golf-and-fishing event is open to ASA members and registered attendees of the ICAST show.
The $95 entry fee includes play on a signature David Harman designed course, golf cart, range balls, bass fishing eligibility, a tournament-embroidered Mojo shirt ($46 value), a lunch buffet and awards banquet/raffle to benefit Keep America Fishing, complimentary lockers and locker room services, customized scorecards with live leaderboard and more.
Rental clubs and shoes are available.
“It’s a beautifully manicured course with a first-rate clubhouse and banquet room,” said Ryals. “Everyone who participates will be impressed with the facilities and enjoy a great morning of golf and fishing prior to the ICAST show.”
All proceeds to to benefit www.KeepAmericaFishing.org.
For more details and sponsorship opportunities at this event, contact Rick Ryals at (904) 334-8808, Rick@FloridaSportsman.com.
For photos from last year’s event, check out the gallery below.
Player Information & Rules
The following details cover the golf and fishing rules that will ensure a fun-filled morning of tournament golf on a spectacular course with bass-hungry lakes.
Registration & Golf
• Registration begins at 7 a.m. at the clubhouse of Rosen Shingle Creek. Upon arrival, go the table and sign in.
• A complimentary locker and locker room services are available.
• Your assigned starting hole for the Shotgun start at 8 a.m. will be provided at registration and shown on your scorecard.
• Taylor Made Golf clubs and shoes are available for rent – please be sure to note such on the Registration form or contact the Tournament Director now.
• Range balls will be provided prior to play on the practice range.
• Players may wear pants or shorts; shirts must be collared.
• Please do not bring any alcoholic beverages.
• Golf shoes must be spike less.
• Play on the Harmond-designed New Course will be a Scramble-Best Ball format.
• Lies may be improved in the fairways within one club length of the chosen ball; all regular USGA rules apply.
• Maximum score on any hole is a bogey.
• Up to five Mulligans per person may be purchased at registration for $5 each.
• One Par-5 hole will feature a Longest Drive Contest and a Par-3 hole a Closest To The Pin Contest.
• Six holes will have a designated area for all-release bass fishing with a spinning rig and lures provided.
• Each group can decide which one of its four players will fish on any or all of the four fishing holes while the other three play those holes in the Scramble-Best Ball format.
• Each bass must be photographed before release with a digital camera or cell phone, weighted by an FWC volunteer, and measured against a provided Florida Sportsman Lawstick.
• A fishing scorecard will be provided each group at registration.
• An attendant at each of the four fishing holes will have hand-cleaning materials and anglers will be escorted to the next tee by cart to catch up with their group.
• If you will need a Florida freshwater fishing license, contact www.MyFWC.com for details ($17 for an annual Florida resident license and same for a non-resident 3-day license).
Scoring & Awards
• The size of bass will be deducted from the total score.
• Bring your golf and fishing scorecards to the official scorer at the committee table in the Clubhouse Grill restaurant following the round.
• A private buffet lunch and awards ceremony will take place in the Clubhouse Grill restaurant immediately after the golf.
• Awards will be given to each player on teams with the three lowest team totals, Longest Drive, Closest To The Hole, Most Bass released and Largest Bass released.
The Florida Sportsman Bass & Birdies Classic will be an enjoyable experience. We look forward to your participating in this event as you get ready for the American Sportfishing Association’s upcoming ICAST show.
Feel free to get in touch with any assistance needed or questions.
No related items found.